Top 5 Authentic Restaurants in Placencia- Seafood Edition
If you've spent anytime any Placencia you probably know that the Maya Beach Bistro bake their own bread and cinnamon rolls, and that the fish tacos at Rumfish y Vino are amazing- and if you haven't sampled the always fresh & reasonably priced fare at Barefoot Beach Bar, well, I don't know where you've been. You may have even found that gem tucked behind the pharmacy that is the Secret Garden. It's true- Placencia has some of the best dining experiences in southern Belize. If you're ready to get down to the nitty-gritty, rice & beans, authentically Belizean-prepared local catch-of-the-day, however... then here's your short list:
5. Wendy's- no- not that Wendy's. Caribbean jerk snapper and creole fish are on the menu at this hard-to-miss restaurant toward the end of the peninsula. Enjoy a cocktail from the large stocked bar in the air-conditioned inside, or dine outside on the large veranda.
4. De Tatch- that's "The Thatch" in gringo speech, this thatched-roofed restaurant on the beach has become a landmark of sorts in Placencia. Fresh-caught daily specials often include grouper and snapper prepared a variety of ways: grilled, blackened, coconut curried, in dill sauce. Look for De Tatch to re-emerge in our "Breakfast Edition", too.
3. The Galley- occupying the bottom floor of the two story building behind the futbol (soccer) field, the dining area on the small veranda is a great place to take in a Placencia Assassins' match. Though they can serve up some great pizza, they've made the list for their always- fresh catch-of-the-day.
2. Dawn's Grill & Go- look twice or you might miss this lattice-clad restaurant on the main road (look for the lobster painted on the sign). Blackened, grilled, creoled- they can prepare the catch of the day just about any way you like, and if you see "Snook" on the specials board- change whatever dinner plans you may have made. Ms. Dawn also makes her own sauces; disclaimer: hot means HOT!
1. Omar's Creole Grub- Omar & Grayson grew up in the kitchen and have now inherited the restaurant from their father, Cello. They are open for breakfast and have stew chicken at the ready for dinner time, but they've made a name for themselves with seafood. The hog snapper at Omar's is the stuff of legend, but when in season, I've not found anyone that grills a better lobster.
Omar & Grayson are also accomplished artists and you are sure to see their latest work on display.
Well- there it is. Your fave not make the list? Make your case in the comments section!